Risks and Benefits Of Making The First Move; Or Not
Who Is This Article For:
Are you feeling like the burden of initiating romance or sex in your relationship falls solely on you?
Has your partner asked you to make the first move in romantic and sexual interactions?
If you answered yes to either of these questions, it’s essential to acknowledge the potential risk in your relationship. Please take a few minutes to read this article, as it could save you and your partner years of pain. It may even prevent your relationship from deteriorating and ending in a breakup.
In a healthy and fulfilling romantic relationship, maintaining a balance in sexual and romantic initiation is crucial.
When both partners equally initiate sexual interactions, it can enhance the quality of the relationship, build trust, and promote mutual empowerment.
On the other hand, when one or both partners fail to make the first move, it can damage the relationship. This imbalance can cause discontent, trauma, and emotional scars that last long after the relationship ends.
Let’s quickly look into some advantages and disadvantages of having a balanced or imbalanced sexual initiation in a romantic relationship.
The risks when one or both partners don’t initiate sexual activity:
- Less emotional connection between partners due to lack of intimacy.
- One partner feeling resentful and frustrated when always initiating sexual activity.
- Higher risk of cheating if one or both partners look for sexual satisfaction elsewhere.
- One partner constantly being rejected for sex can lower their self-esteem.
- Lack of intimacy can lead to relationship dissatisfaction and breakdown.
Benefits when both partners equally initiate sexual and romantic interactions:
- Builds trust and intimacy between partners.
- Enhances communication and understanding of each other’s needs and desires.
- Promotes a sense of balance and equity in the relationship.
- Increases feelings of empowerment, value, and desire for both partners.
- Improves emotional and physical well-being for both partners.
- Creates a foundation for a long-lasting and fulfilling relationship.
From the above benefits and risks, it’s clear that putting in a small effort can bring immense joy and passion to life. Yet, as a relationship counselor, I encounter couples where one or both partners refuse to make that small effort. They would rather risk destroying their relationships, even though living a happy, passionate life together is easy to achieve.
Please realize that ignoring the warning signs can be tempting, but when your partner leaves, it can be costly and cause much damage.